McKinney Vento & Foster Care Program
The McKinney-Vento Act was created to address the problems that homeless children and youth have faced in enrolling, attending, and succeeding in school. Under this program, State educational agencies must ensure that each homeless child and youth has access to the same free, appropriate public education, including a public preschool education, as other children. Homeless children and youth should have access to the same challenging student academic achievement standards to which all students are held.
Ardmore City Schools is proud to offer the grant-funded program and services to its eligible students. The program provides much needed support and resources to the hundreds of students attending Ardmore City Schools. Each of our schools has a site representative who can assist you.
What determines if a student is homeless?
Here are some of the questions that are asked when determining if a student is considered homeless as outlined in the McKinney-Vento Act.
Where does this student stay the night?
- Temporarily with another family member or friend until they can locate affordable housing.
- In an emergency or transitional shelter.
- In a vehicle, park, campground, or on the streets.
- In a house, building, or trailer without running water or electricity.
- In a hotel or motel.
- With an adult that is not a parent or legal guardian.
- Alone or in different locations, without an adult serving as caregiver
- Where they can find a place to stay at night.
If your family lives in any of the above-mentioned situations or if you are the parent of a Foster Child, please contact our District Homeless Liaison/ Foster Care Coordinator: Sabra Emda at 580-226-7650 Ext 1252 or by email at email@example.com She can assist you with enrolling your child, working with the school, other agencies and for assistance with clothing and/or school supplies.
The following is a link to the Oklahoma State Department of Education’s McKinney Vento Program, which contains more information. http://sde.ok.gov/sde/title-x-part-c