Skip to main content

Ardmore City Schools

Mobile Menu Toggle
For Parents » Residency


What constitutes residency?

It is the policy of the Ardmore Board of Education that the residence of any child for school purposes shall be the legal residence of the parents, guardian, or person having legal custody who holds legal residence within the district as defined in 70 O.S. § 1-113(C).  A child residing in the district who is entirely self-supporting shall be considered a resident of the school district if the child works and attends school in the school district.  Questions concerning legal residence of children shall be determined pursuant to procedures utilized by the State Department of Education in accordance with 70 O.S. §1-113.

The superintendent or designee may require the submission of evidence of residency in order to determine whether the student is eligible to attend.

Homeless Students

In accordance with the Federal McKinney Homeless Assistance Act, homeless children shall have access to the same free and appropriate public education as provided to other children.  The board shall make reasonable efforts to identify homeless children within the district, encourage their enrollment, and eliminate existing barriers to their education that may exist in district policies or practices.  No child or youth shall be discriminated against in this school district because of homelessness.  Conditions whereby children are deemed homeless can be found in Board Policy x.   LINK

My family does not reside in the Ardmore Schools attendance area but would like to attend Ardmore.
What is the process?

Parents have two options with regard to transferring into Ardmore City Schools, the Open Transfer and the Emergency Transfer.

Open Transfer

The Open Transfer application period is from March 1 to May 31 annually for the upcoming school year.  The Open Transfer is a permanent transfer and does not have to be renewed annually.    The Board of Education reviews the applications each year in their June meeting and parents are notified prior to July 1 if their transfer has been approved.

All transfer applications will be approved or denied subject to the following criteria:

  • Availability of Programs.
  • Staffing Availability.  If accepting the transfer will require the addition lf personnel, the transfer application will be denied.
  • Space Limitations.  A class, program, or building will be considered unavailable due to space if enrollment has reached 95% capacity.  This allows for increases of regular residential students.
  • Disciplinary/Attendance Record.  Discipline records of students transferring to this school will be requested as part of the student’s records.  It shall be within the discretion of the board of education, based upon the student’s records, as to whether a transfer will be approved or denied.  As a general rule, students with poor discipline or attendance records or those deemed “not in good standing” at their former school will not be approved for transfer to this district.
  • Adjudication as a Juvenile Sex Offender.

Students who are attending Ardmore on an open transfer will have their discipline and attendance checked each year.  If at any time they are not in good standing with the district, the Board can cancel their open transfer.

Emergency Transfer

The Emergency Transfer is only effective for one school year and can only be approved under the following situations:

  • The destruction or partial destruction of a school building;
  • The inability to offer the subject a student desires to pursue, if the student becomes a legal resident of a school district after February 1 of the school year immediately for to the school year for which the student is seeking the transfer;
  • A catastrophic medical problem of a student, which for purposes of this section shall mean an acute or chronic serious illness, disease, disorder, or injury which has a permanently detrimental effect on the body’s system or renders the risk unusually hazardous;
  • The total failure of transportation facilities by the home district;
  • The concurrence of both the sending and receiving school districts;
  • The unavailability of remote or on-site Internet-based instruction by course title in the district of residence for a students identified as in need of drop-out recovery or alternative education services, provided such student was enrolled at any time in a public school in Oklahoma during the previous three school years; or
  • The unavailability of a specialized deaf education program for a student who is deaf or hearing impaired.
  • When a student has been the victim of harassment, intimidation, and bullying as defined in 70 O.S. § 24-100.3, and the receiving school district has verified that: (i)  The student has been the victim of harassment, intimidation, or bullying; and (ii)  The sending school district was notified of the incident or incidents prior to the filing of the application for transfer.

Students wanting to begin at the beginning of the school year and are not already approved for an open transfer, must apply for and be approved by the Ardmore Superintendent at least two weeks prior to enrollment.  Transfers are not granted during the week of enrollment.  Students must be in good standing at their home school to be eligible for an emergency transfer.  


Students who are granted an emergency transfer must abide by the attendance and discipline policies of the district or their emergency transfer can be cancelled at any time during the school year.  Parents complete the x form at the time of their application agreeing to this.


Emergency transfer are usually not accepted after the first few weeks of each semester.  


For more information about your transfer options, contact Marcy King in the Superintendent’s office.

She can be reached at 580-223-2483 or by email,


I live in the Charles Evans attendance area, but want my child to attend Lincoln.
What are my options?

We get this question every year around enrollment.  Board Policy mandates a strict adherence to attendance areas and boundaries for the three elementary schools.  Exceptions to this policy may be granted for hardship reasons or other reasons deemed appropriate by the Superintendent or his designee.  

To be considered for an in-district transfer from one elementary school to another, the parents must enroll the student or students in their home elementary school first.  They would then complete an in-district transfer request to the school they are wanting to attend.  The principals at the two schools will discuss the request and make a determination based on the student’s discipline and attendance record and space availability in the grade level needed.


It should be noted that if the in-district transfer is approved, parents must agree and acknowledge that:

  • No transportation will be provided.
  • In-district transfer is effective for the current school year only.  Parent must reapply annually.
  • Student’s discipline and attendance must remain satisfactory in order to remain at the requested school for the current school year.  At any time discipline or attendance becomes unsatisfactory, student can be returned to their home school.
  • Student’s discipline and attendance from the previous school year must be satisfactory to be eligible for an in-district transfer.

School district employees wishing to enroll their children in a school outside their elementary attendance area may do so only if they are being enrolled at the school site where the parent is assigned.