After 25 meetings over a period of seven months, Ardmore City Schools opened their doors for the first time on September 20, 1899; the place was Indian Territory. Superintendent J.R. Hendrix reported that 761 students attended the first month of School.
Earlier that same year, Mayor J.S. Gault, acting on behalf of the city of Ardmore, asked a group of six community leaders to form a committee to establish a public school system. They met on Saturday evening, March 11, 1899 and elected HC Potterf as first President of the Board of School Directors. In May of 1899, the Board voted to ask the City Council for $11,540 to operate the schools for an eight month term. By August 30, 1899, the Board had hired 19 teachers and principals, established their salaries, and assigned them to buildings.
Fast forward 118+ years. Ardmore City Schools is the largest school in Carter County and serves approximately 3,100 students each year. The district is also the 5th largest employer in Carter County with staff members of around 450.
Ardmore City Schools has one high school serving grades 9-12, one middle school serving grades 6-8, three elementary schools serving grades 1-5 and one early childhood center serving Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten students. In addition, we have one alternative school for credit recovery and one alternative setting for students in lieu of suspension.
So Who Are We?
We are an education community who is proud of our 118+ year history.
We are proud of our diverse student population.
We strive for excellence.
We work hard to meet the specific needs of each of our students and their families.
We are, Ardmore City Schools.